Vitamin D2 and D3

I am not sure if this topic has been covered already and I apologize if it has but is there an instance of ergocalciferol (D2) and cholecalciferol (D3) in LOINC? I was only able to find calcidiol and calciferol upon searching for Vitamin D in RELMA. Thanks.

Calciferol = Ergocalciferol

There area Cholecalciferol terms as well:

1990-1 Cholecalciferol MCnc Pt Ser/Plas Qn

33958-0 Cholecalciferol SCnc Pt Ser/Plas Qn

Hope this helps… Kathy

That is interesting. According to Dorland’s medical dictionary by William Alexander Newman Dorland:

Carciferol = D2 + D3.

Could you send me your reference?

Thank you.

I see the LOINC for cholecalciferol now, thanks. Is there one for ergocalciferol (D2) as well?

Take a look at this document from the June 2010 Lab LOINC meeting that has some explanations about LOINC vitamin D terms:

http://www.loinc.org/meetings/20100607/files/handout-vit-d-explanation.pdf

I completely agree with this Vitamin D nomenclature given by this handout. It is consistent with several of the literature I have been encountering around the subject, notably Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary, under Vitamin (table of vitamins).

Some of the LOINC concepts however (loinc v2.40), are still not consistent with the definition of vitamin D provided. In particular:

Vitamin D2 is also known as Ergocalciferol as confirmed by your document and Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary, under Vitamin (Table of Vitamins).

There is a concept in LOINC, however, called:

Calciferol (Vitamin D2) [Mass/volume] in Serum or Plasma LOINC ID: 2236-8

implying that calciferol is the same as vitamin B2, which clearly it is not.

Furthermore, calciferol is actually:

Vitamin D2 + D3 which is also simply known as Vitamin D but the aforementioned LOINC implies the contrary.

To continue, the chemically active variant of Vitamin D3 is called calcidiol (or calcifidiol or 25-hydroxy-vitamin D3) but in LOINC there are two different concepts for each of these, implying that there are not the same. I could see that for aesthetic reasons Regenstrief is attempting to let the user choose between nomenclatures…

The latter issue is also found for the hormone active variant of Vitamin D3 called calcitriol which is also 1,25-(OH)2D.

I just wanted to verify whether these were known issues or intended behavior? If the latter, could you elaborate on why?

Thank you in advance.

Here is something about Vitamin D5 as a supplement to this topic. Hope it can be helpful.

Vitamin D5, a member of the family Vitamin D which was discovered by Edward Mellanby in 1919 during his classic experiments with rickets, is about 180-fold less active than vitamin D3, in calcification of rachitic cartilage and about 100- to 200-fold less active in induction of bone calcium mobilization. In stimulation of intestinal-calcium transport, vitamin D5 is about 80 fold less active than vitamin D3.