Understanding Lab Panels

Hi,

I am new to LOINC and generally trying to feel my way around using it to develop a Health Information System for my hospital in Nigeria.

I have a couple of issues:

I however do not understand how the individual LOINC tests are organized

in panels.

From the database how do I tell what test is part of a panel, can one test

be a part of more than one panel? How is this relationship described

within the RELMA or LOINC database.

I definitely would appreciate a quick reply.

if there are any resources i can get I would be grateful. watching the online video is quite a task considering my bandwidth!

Thanks in advance

Simpa

LOINC maps results, not orders. With this in mind, panels have been created to group tests that are commonly ordered together to aid in mapping. For example, the Basic Metabolic panel has a LOINC code of 24322-1, but is actually comprised of several LOINC codes-calcium, CO2, creatinine, glucose, etc. Unless you are sending the all results in the same field; each individual test under the panel would be mapped separately.

To view all panels contained in LOINC, search in RELMA on the word “panel”. Select “Details” to display the children (tests) under the panel.

1 Like

i was wondering if there was a way i could get the relationship from the database itself not from the view details point

thanks

simpa

Hi, is it possible to fetch the list of tests within a panel via API?

For example, LOINC code: 99012-7 is a Panel comprised on ~25 tests. On the LOINC page (/99012-7) “Panel Hierarchy” which includes a list of all tests within the Panel. However, when I hit the API ($lookup) or (Questionnaire), I do not see the tests and their display names. In the questionnaire, I see tests, but I have to do another $lookup for each LOINC code to get the test names.

Is there an easier way to do this that does not require 26 separate API calls for a small set of information

Hello,

try to perform an unique call to the endpoint (you should have a login, feel free to request one on the site, it is free)

<span style=“white-space: normal;”> https://fhir.loinc.org/Questionnaire/?url=http://loinc.org/q/99012-7&lt;/span&gt;

in the response, you could find the information in the following path

<span style=“white-space: normal;”> Bundle.entry.resource.Questionnaire.item</span>

for each item, you can iterate and get from the path “code.code” the relevant information

aside you have the answerlist behind “answerOption.valueCoding.code value”

hope this help.

Raphael

For deeper retrieval, this is a pity but, there is no other way … one call by entry.

On our side, we manage a cache with version and timestamp to minimize the number of call to the resources.

Raphael