Retrograde Semen Analysis Mapping

Hello,

I am curious if anyone has mapped LOINC codes to retrograde semen analysis results. I’m unsure about the LOINC System since the semen analyzed is from the patient’s urine. I’m hesitant to map the LOINC codes you would for an antegrade semen analysis. Would the system be urine or semen for retrograde results:

<colgroup><col style="width: 211pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 9984;" width="281" /></colgroup>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Semen Volume</span>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Motile/mL</span>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Sperm/mL</span>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Motility (%)</span>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Grade</span>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Motile/Ejaculate (10*6/mL)</span>
<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial;">Retrograde Agglutination</span>
Otherwise I was going to submit for new LOINC codes.

Thanks,

Brittany

Hi Brittany,

My opinion only would be to include something of the process of isolating spermatozoa from the diluting urine after being redirected to the bladder? It’s not like the testes creating the semen made them in the urine instead. The delivery mechanism (a muscle lapse?) didn’t close off the bladder to urethra track, causing the semen to be directed to the bladder. So it is an unusual collection point. Maybe try system Urine.retrograde semen in your submission?

I’m not sure if Regenstrief keeps track of all rejected terms; seems like 3M did try to get them submitted back in 2014-16 era.

Thanks Pam! Yes, Barb had left some notes about the submission, but no terms were ever created. Jamie ended up contacting me and I am submitting a request.

Maybe we should try to get that term submitted again and see if we can get it to catch on. Anyway, thanks for bringing up the retrograde semen thing.

Hi Saba, Please see 98412-0 Retrograde Ejaculation Evaluation Panel and it’s components.

Feel free to create a submission if these six results do not match your needs.

Best regards,

Pam