As we are working to harmonize existing LOINC codes with the new axis values, I’ve identified 2 areas where I’d like to propose tweaks to the axis values as they currently appear (see LOINC Users’ Guide from July 2008). These are basically editorial changes, but thought it would be good to open for comment.
Use “and” everywhere in the SMD instead of “&”.
- In radiology, combine multiple images with different views with &. Systems that encompass multiple organ systems are combined with +.[/*:pw2yi0bv]
- Using & makes it somewhat harder to distinguish from +, which we will intentionally use when we want to specifically combine values from within an axis[/*:pw2yi0bv]
- Couldn't find an example where "&" was not interchangable with "and".[/*:pw2yi0bv]
- Has the benefit of working better in RELMA searches - & gets removed.
Using (.) dot separators in Role
- There was general agreement that this is probably the preferred approach. Is consistent with the convention elsewhere in clinical LOINC where the dot signifies a sub-category.
- Some seem to work better than others:
o Nursing.clinical nurse specialist
o Nursing.nurse practitioner
- Some challenge with whether to capitalize the second thing or not. We have tended not to elsewhere.
- Existing terms highlight some things that need to be migrated to Component (SMD)
o Nurse.surgery - > Nursing (with Surgery as SMD)
o Nurse.general medicine -> Nursing (with General Medicine as SMD)
Comments and other feedback welcome.