Loinc to Diagnosis Category or Condition?

Hello - i’m looking for any way I can link individual loinc codes to diagnosis category codes. For instance, 13457-7 as a Diagnosis Category Code of “Hyperlipidemia” or Condition = Hyperlipidemia. Is there anything out there that can do this sort of classification? Someone in our organization started doing this but I have no idea where they got their info from.

1 Like

HI David,

To the best of my knowledge there is no mapping that exits that would link a LOINC code (e.g. 13457-7) to a diagnosis category code like the CMS HCC12 or HCC24 code system. I would even go as far as to say that this linkage wouldn’t even be considered a map, but would be considered more of a phenotype definition for a disease state or category of disease states. The challenge with phenotype definitions is that each doctor, researcher, department, organization, etc. has their own opinion about what should or should not be a part of a phenotype definition for a disease.

Sorry I am unable to be of more help. Geisinger Research attempted to create standardized phenotype definitions within the organization about 10 years ago and the effort was eventually abandoned and focused placed on enhancing the standardized data model so that clean data was available.