International Use of Panel Codes

We are moving forward in the use of the LOINC standard in Canada and would like to use as many of the LOINC Panel codes as have been created previously. We have noticed that some of the Panel codes are very specific and indicate HCFA in the Component Name. As this abreviation does not apply to Canada, should we be requesting a duplicate Panel that does not contain the acronym HCFA? This would allow the code to be used at an International level. I appreciate any guidance.

Lorie Carey

Laboratory Terminology SME

Canada Health Infoway

If the existing panel elements have the same property as the terms that you will be using, then feel free to use the existing LOINC codes. If you do not wish to display “HCFA” in your standard, you can change the text to suit your needs.