British English set

Hello,

Is there a translation from US English to UK English? For example estrogen to oestrogen, or hemoglobin to haemoglobin?

Many thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Currently, we include many British spellings as synonyms in LOINC, but not as a separate translation. We’d welcome such a translation if users wanted to produce it. Is this something you would be interested in doing? Here is some more information about joining our group of volunteer translators. Please feel free to get in touch with us!

Best,

Sara, LOINC team

Hi Sara,

Thanks for getting back to me. As you probably know the NHS released a statement a few months ago saying they were looking at LOINC as the central coding system for pathology test names in the new National Laboratory Medicine Catalogue (NLMC). It’s a big change in policy, they we’re fully SNOMED-CT post-coordinated mapping before that. They’ve done a lot of work in compiling approved names for tests, so I have a feeling they will do the linking as part of that project. It’s all a bit up in the air at the moment, but very exciting as I’m a big fan of LOINC!

Many thanks,

Chris